Translate

Friday, February 15, 2013

The First Station: Jesus Is Condemned To Death




The Stations Of The Cross
Opening Prayer

Mary, my Mother, you were the first to live the Way of the Cross.
You felt every pain and every humiliation. You were unafraid of the
ridicule heaped upon you by the crowds. Your eyes were ever on Jesus
and His Pain. Is that the secret of your miraculous strength? How did your
loving heart bear such a burden and such a weight? As you watched Him
stumble and fall, were you tortured by the memory of all the yesterdays-
His birth, His hidden life and His ministry?

You were so desirous of everyone loving Him. What a heartache it was
to see so many hate Him - hate with a diabolical fury. Take my hand as I
make this Way of the Cross. Inspire me with those thoughts that will make
me realize how much He loves me. Give me light to apply each station to my
daily life and to remember my neighbor's needs in this Way of the Pain.

Obtain for me the grace to understand the mystery, the wisdom
and the Divine love as I go from scene to scene. Grant that my heart, like
yours, may be pierced through by the sight of His sorrow and the misery and
that I may determine never to offend Him again. What a price He paid to
cover my sins, to open the gates of heaven for me and to fill my soul with His
own Spirit . Sweet Mother, let us travel this way together and grant that the
love in my poor heart may give you some slight consolation.

Amen.


1st Station



The First Station:
Jesus Is Condemned To Death


My Jesus, the world still has You on trial. It keeps asking who You are and why You make the demands You make. It asks over and over the question, If You are God's Son, why do You permit the world to be in the state it is in? Why are You so silent?

Though the arrogance of the world angers me, I must admit that silently, in the depths of my soul, I too have these questions. Your humility frustrates me and makes me uncomfortable. Your strength before Pilate as You drank deeply from the power of the Father, gives me the answer to my question - The Father's Will. The Father permits many sufferings in my life but it is all for my good. If only I too could be silent in the face of worldly prudence - steadfast in the faith when all seems lost - calm when accused unjustly - free from tyranny of human respect - ready to do the Father's Will no matter how difficult.

Silent Jesus, give us all the graces we need to stand tall in the face of the ridicule of the world. Give the poor the strength not to succumb to their privation but to be ever aware of their dignity as sons of God. Grant that we might not bend to the crippling disease of worldly glory but be willing to be deprived of all things rather than lose Your friendship. My Jesus, though we are accused daily of being fools, let the vision of Quiet Dignity standing before Monstrous Injustice, give us all the courage to be Your followers.

Amen


Read more:http://www.ewtn.com/devotionals/stations/stat1.htm#ixzz2KyWRmoHe

Station I
PILATE CONDEMNS JESUS TO DEATH


1st Prelude: History.----"Then therefore Pilate delivered Jesus to them to be crucified. And after they had mocked Him, they took off the purple from Him and put on His own garments on Him. And there were also two other malefactors led with Him to be put to death. And bearing His own Cross, He went forth to that place which is called Calvary. And there followed Him a great multitude of people, and of women who lamented Him."

2nd Prelude: Composition of Place.----See the Praetorium of Pilate, and, to the west, at the distance of about a quarter of a mile, Calvary. See the streets through which the procession is to pass----dark, narrow, roughly paved with large stones, here and there crossed by arches. See the multitude lining the whole length of the road----sightseers on every roof and in every doorway. Watch the procession coming from the Praetorium----the Centurion on horseback taking the lead, a herald walking beside him; the thieves filled with rage and despair; our Lord tottering under His heavy load, His right hand trying to steady the Cross on His shoulder, His left to gather His long robe from under His feet. Around the prisoners: executioners, soldiers, Priests, Pharisees, a vast crowd insulting them. See the ladders, ropes, and nails. Notice at the corner of the street the Blessed Mother, Magdalen, and John. Hear the babel of tongues----the herald proclaiming the sentence, the yells, jeers, blasphemy of the crowds; hear on every side the words "impostor," "seducer," "blasphemer."

3rd Prelude: Ask what I want.----Grace to realize the sufferings and sorrows of Jesus carrying His Cross to expiate my sins; anguish with Jesus in anguish; sympathy with my suffering Lord, Who loves me and delivers Himself for me; courage to follow Jesus closely and generously in this life that I may be a consolation to His loving Heart.

In vain does Pilate endeavour to stifle remorse by washing his hands before the people, saying: "I am innocent of the blood of this just Man; look you to it."

Vainly indeed does he pronounce these words; he cannot wash the Blood of the Saviour from his soul, he too is guilty of the death of our Lord. Those fearful words, "His blood be upon us and upon our children," had scarcely ceased to resound when Pilate commenced preparations for passing sentence. The place where the sentence was pronounced was a raised seat in the outer atrium, or court, which St. John calls the Lithostrotos, or court of the tessellated marble pavement. It was to this court that Pilate came out as often as he spoke to the Jews. How privileged are the Dames de Sion, whose chapel stands on a part of this very court where Pilate, when he uttered the words "Behold the Man," showed our Lord to the Jews! The Roman Governor always passed sentence in the open air, sitting on the judgment-seat, and with great solemnity. So Pilate, wearing the insignia of his office and accompanied by soldiers, went thither and mounted the judgment-seat. Our Lord was placed before him as a criminal. Then Pilate condemned Jesus to the death of the Cross: "I condemn Jesus of Nazareth, the King of the Jews, to be crucified." And he ordered the executioners to bring the Cross. At once he prepared to write the sentence and also the inscription for the head of the Cross.

See the extreme dissatisfaction and anger of the Priests at the words of the sentence, which, they said, were not true. They clamorously surrounded the tribunal to endeavour to persuade Pilate to alter the inscription and to put, not "King of the Jews," but that He said, "I am King of the Jews!" Note Pilate's vexation as he answers impatiently: "What I have written, I have written."

Contemplate Jesus. No sooner had Pilate pronounced sentence than our Divine Lord is handed over to the soldiers, and His clothes, which had been taken off in the court of Caiphas, were brought for Him to put on again. Oh, watch our suffering, patient Jesus. His hands are untied. Then the old purple mantle which was put on in mockery is roughly dragged off. His Sacred Body is but one wound, not even the lightest and softest texture could touch it without causing Him intensest torture----all Its gashes are reopened. See Him as He tries to put on His own under-garment with trembling hands. Note the humble submission of Jesus to His cruel, heartless executioners. As the crown of thorns was too large to allow the seamless robe to pass over His head, they pull it off violently, heedless of the pain thus inflicted. His robe is put on, then His girdle and cloak, over which a rope is fastened round His waist with cords by which to lead Him----all being done with brutal cruelty.

See how they push Him: nothing but ignominy and outrage. Pity our Lord. Let us try to realize what our Lord suffers. Wonder how He could bear so much! How His love could go so far! Only the absolute determination of His Will could have enabled itself to undergo so willingly such awful torture.

How willingly my Jesus suffers for me! O Sacred suffering Body of Jesus, save me. Ah, dear Jesus, what was my share in Thy intolerable anguish? What has been my return of love to Thee for bearing so much for me? 

No comments:

Post a Comment