Translate

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Prayer of St. Teresa of Avila


Feastday: October 15
Patron
 of Headache sufferers, Spanish Catholic Writers
1515 - 1582

A Prayer To St. Teresa Of Avila

Lord,
Thou knowest better than I myself
that I am growing older and will someday be old.
Keep me from the fatal habit of thinking
I must say something on every subject and on every occasion.
Release me from craving to
straighten out everybody’s affairs.
Make me thoughtful but not moody;
helpful but not bossy.
With my vast store of wisdom,
it seems a pity not to use it all;
but Thou knowest, Lord,
that I want a few friends at the end.
Keep my mind free from the recital of endless details;
give me wings to get to the point.
Seal my lips on my aches and pains;
they are increasing, and love of rehearsing them
is becoming sweeter as the years go by.
I dare not ask for improved memory,
but for a growing humility and a lessening cock-sureness
when my memory seems to clash with the memories of others.
Teach me the glorious lesson that occasionally I may be mistaken.
Keep me reasonably sweet, for a sour old person
is one of the crowning works of the devil.
Give me the ability to see good things in unexpected places
and talents in unexpected people;
and give, O Lord, the grace to tell them so.
Amen. 
- prayer by St. Teresa of Avila


A Prayer To St. Teresa of Avila

Let nothing disturb you,
Let nothing frighten you,
All things pass away:
God never changes.
Patience obtains all things.
He who has God
Finds he lacks nothing;
God alone suffices.

-St. Teresa of Avila

To Redeem Lost Time 
O my God! Source of all mercy!
I acknowledge Your sovereign power.
While recalling the wasted years that are past,
I believe that You, Lord,
can in an instant turn this loss to gain.
Miserable as I am,
yet I firmly believe that You can do all things.
Please restore to me the time lost,
giving me Your grace,
both now and in the future,
that I may appear before You in "wedding garments."
Amen
 


If, Lord, Thy Love is Strong
 
If, Lord, Thy love for me is strong
As this which binds me unto thee,
What holds me from thee Lord so long,
What holds thee Lord so long from me?
O soul, what then desirest thou?
Lord I would see thee, who thus choose thee.

What fears can yet assail thee now?
All that I fear is but lose thee.
Love's whole possession I entreat,
Lord make my soul thine own abode,
And I will build a nest so sweet
It may not be too poor for God.

A sould in God hidden from sin,
What more desires for thee remain,
Save but to love again,
And all on flame with love within,
Love on, and turn to love again.
 
 
 A Love Song
 
Majestic sovereign, timeless wisdom, 
your kindness melts my hard, cold soul.
Handsome lover, selfless giver, 
your beauty fills my dull, sad eyes.
I am yours, you made me.
I am yours, you called me.
I am yours, you saved me.
I am yours, you loved me.
I will never leave your presence.
Give me death, give me life.
Give me sickness, give me health.
Give me honor, give me shame.
Give me weakness, give me strength.
I will have whatever you give.
 
Amen


Relief Of Pain

Dear wonderful saint, model of fidelity to vows, you gladly carried a heavy cross following in the steps of Christ who chose to be crucified for us. You realized that God like a merciful Father chastises those whom He loves--- which to worldings seems silly indeed. Grant to (Request Name) relief from great pains if this is in line with God's plan. Amen.


Prayer To St. Teresa

God, You raised up St. Teresa by Your Spirit so that she could manifest to the Church the way to perfection. Nourish us with the food of heaven, and fire us with a desire for holiness. Amen.


Patroness of Religious

O Wonderful daughter of Spain, you taught us to walk the way of Christian perfection which is the Way of the Cross. You inspired innumerable men and women by your writings as well as your conduct, deserving the title of Doctor of the Church. Ever faithful to St. Peter's successors, inspire fidelity to religious vows on the part of those who have taken them and make them ever true to their vocation. Amen.


Prayer #2

Graciously hear us, O God, our Savior, that a we rejoice in the festival of blessed Teresa, Thy Virgin, so we may be fed with the food of her Heavenly teaching, and grow in loving devotion towards Thee. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, Who liveth and reigneth with Thee, in the unity of the Holy Ghost, world without end. Amen.



Prayer #3

Lord Jesus Christ, You raised up St. Teresa of Avila to be a guide in the ways of prayer and contemplation. Give me the grace to follow her example with fidelity and generosity. Lead me into the wine cellar of Your love where, refreshed by Your Spirit, I, too, may sing of Your mercies and be set aflame with the fire of Your love. Amen.


Christ has no body but yours by St. Teresa of Avila

Christ has no body now on earth but yours; yours are the only hands with which He can do His work. 
Yours are the only feet with which He can go about the world; yours are the only eyes through which His compassion can shine forth upon a troubled world. Christ has no body on earth but yours.


A LOVE SONG by Saint Teresa of Avila

Majestic sovereign, timeless wisdom, your kindness melts my hard, cold soul. 
Handsome lover, selfless giver, your beauty fills my dull, sad eyes. 
I am yours, you made me. 
I am yours, you called me. 
I am yours, you saved me. 
I am yours, you loved me. 
I will never leave your presence. 
Give me death, give me life. 
Give me sickness, give me health. 
Give me honor, give me shame. 
Give me weakness, give me strength. 
I will have whatever you give. Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment